Easter is Unfair
1. What is the most unfair thing you have witnessed against someone (including yourself)?
2. What is the most unfair thing that has happened in your favor?
3. Do you agree that human society runs by ‘ungrace’: ranking people, holding people accountable, insisting on reciprocity and fairness?
4. The actions and words of God communicate that God’s society runs by grace. Not that ‘it should’, but that it actually does. Do you believe (don’t be afraid to tell the truth) that Jesus dying on the cross is the greatest act of unfairness, the largest grace bomb ever detonated in the history of the universe? Explain.
5. The Bible says that, “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.“- Romans 5:8. What does it mean to be a ‘sinner’? Why does that matter? Don’t give the answers you’re supposed to give. Instead, respond in the way your brain and heart would. Doesn’t mean our thoughts and emotions are correct, but let’s be honest.
6. This series that we are going through for the next few weeks is title ‘Unfair’ because we are looking more closely at the grace of God and what that means. The writer that inspired this series by pointing to Jesus’ grace is Phillip Yancey. The primary book that will be used is “What’s so Amazing about Grace?” Consider as a group if you want to read this together during this series.